Sunday, August 11, 2013

Hind Site is 20/20

So...  Poor PJ was in his stall Friday due to flooding in the pasture.  Later in the evening he broke out of his stall and went over the manure pit.  On his way through that he caught a rogue metal T post half buried.  It punctured his hind leg on the right inner thigh.  It's definitely not the worst wound I have ever seen but it's nasty all the same. 

So, a call to the vet and the don't deem it necessary to come out.  I am on my own trying to decide what's best for him.  I did go to the vet's the next day to get antibiotics for just in case.  But as far as the wound itself goes.. I had to figure out what is best to take care of it.  I went to Lilley's Tack and Feed in Dryden (close to my vet's office) and talked to the people there.  I am a huge believer in Bannix for my animals and their issues but like they said.. it's more for anti bacterial/anti fungal things.  This is a cut that needs to heal.  They told me about Underwoods horse medicine.  I looked at the testimonials and purchased it.  I will take pictures daily of his injury as it has already changed drastically for the better in 24 hours.  The weird thing about this medicine is after you spray it on the horse.. you powder the wound with baking powder.. they say it acts like a bandaid and keeps bugs and stuff out of it.  INTERESTING!

Now for the hindsite.....  I locked him in a stall that had been empty for months because they are "being horses" and not getting locked in the barn much anymore.  Unknowingly I locked him in with 3 nests of white faced hornets in the wall.  They must have been what pushed him to break his door.  And the other part of the hindsite... I knew that Tpost was there.  I had said several times I needed to get it out of there but because the horses are fenced away from that area.. never did it.

So, if there is an issue you think you should address with your place.. do it when you think of it.. it may be cheaper and better for everyone around in the long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment